1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise
¼ cup neutral vegetable oil (such as grapeseed or safflower)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and blotted dry
2 tablespoons Korean gochujang sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 pound Chinese or Japanese eggplant, sliced into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
4 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Toss the Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and ¾ teaspoon salt in a medium-size bowl. Place them on a rimmed sheet pan and roast until they are starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
3. Slice the tofu into ½- to ¾-inch planks. Stack the planks and cut them into 1-inch-long rectangles. Place the tofu in a large bowl, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and toss to coat.
4. Push the sprouts to one side of the sheet pan and add the tofu to the other side. Roast until the bottom of the tofu is browned, about 15 minutes, then flip each piece with a spatula. Cook until the other side is golden, about 10 minutes more.
5. Whisk the gochujang, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce in a medium-size bowl. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and, with a silicone basting brush, dab the sauce over the sprouts and tofu. Return the pan to the oven and cook until the sauce begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
6. Place the eggplant in a large bowl and toss with the remaining tablespoon vegetable oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Place the eggplant on a clean, rimmed sheet pan and roast until it starts to brown and soften, 10 to 12 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, whisk the hoisin, remaining tablespoon sesame oil, ginger, and mirin in a medium-size heatproof bowl. Transfer the eggplant to the bowl, toss to coat, then return the dressed eggplant to the pan and continue to roast until it is tender, about 5 minutes more. With a spatula, place the eggplant over the sprouts and tofu. Sprinkle with the scallions and sesame seeds and serve.
Related: The 20 Highest Protein Vegetarian Foods